Thursday, December 28, 2006

New Portrait starts- Art Museum Day !!!!



Here are two new portraits I started this morning. They are done in the first stage, which is thinned down terre verte oil....
Both Eric, and Claudia are my beginning art students, and both came and asked me if they could be included in my 100 portraits, and pose for me. Let's see if I can get them to have "likenesses" and finish them before this Christmas break is over.
Gotta go run errands, like get a new cell phone. Yesterday was a fun time at the St. Louis Art Museum with my sis. We saw a fantastic exhibit from the remote islands north and east of Australia. People have been living there, completely isolated from the rest of the world for thousands of years. Their art showed such sense of perfect balance, symmetry, and composition. We learned much about their beliefs and the symbolism in their headdresses, and the many carved wooden artifacts. Their main "theme" seemed to be the struggle between life and death. Also, many references were made to a "white skinned cannibal" whom they depicted in sculptural pieces worn for ceremonies and plays of some sort.

Unfortunately, after the show leaves here, it is only headed to Paris for a stint on display, and then all these wonderful pieces go back into storage, where they have been for a long period of time- what a shame they are NOT on display somewhere. THEY WERE AMAZING !!!
I only wish my daughter could have seen them, but she won't be back in town until Feb. !, and if she saw all this cool stuff, she'd be wanting to visit there!!!

4 comments:

Mary Timme said...

Oh what fun! The art exhibit and getting to be with your sister, both! I love being in on the beinning and endings of your portraits!

Sandy Graeser Haynes said...

thanks, Mary... You're my soul supporter these days, and I appreciate it.

lindaharre said...

I bet your pardon:)

lindaharre said...

I bet your pardon:)