Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Goodwill Goodies, Darijans portrait



Yesterday, a trip to Goodwill gained me a bunch of books to alter ( for my next semesters, Applied Design Class) I also found a darling little server, similar to the one I have, which I painted with a black oil based enamel to give it that "Pottery Barn" look. Anyway, I found a friend of mine there at Goodwill, and we had fun looking together, and I used her cell phone to call my daughter-in-law, who has been looking for a piece to put in her diningroom to store some wedding gifts, and her jadeite dishes. It was a bit pricey, at 200., but there was a sign by the checkout- 50% off on furniture,IF you take it home with you today. Long story short, they came with her dad's big suv and really thought the piece had potential for them. I volunteered to help them paint, since Di di is pregnant, and can't deal with the fumes and such. I'll post a finished product when we get it done. Hooray for bargain-hunting!!
Here's how far I've gotten with Darijan's portrait. Still have a way to go- for that "likeness" that I'm trying for.

5 comments:

One Crabapple said...

The portraits seem to be getting richer if I am any judge here ! I noticed this last week....they are maturing ? is that a good word for it?

I bet every time you paint a new one you are picking up some new way of putting things down. The beauty of doing art , huh ?

Well I love the server and can't wait to see the redo ! Don't forget to post that !

lindaharre said...

He looks great! Not sure what you did.....I do notice the eye on the left is darker:) He is perfect!

lindaharre said...

I just looked again.....now I am confused! Maybe he is still the same...can't tell.....I have nothing to compare it to:) He is rich with color!

jennifer black said...

Wonderful portraits here and on Flickr ... amazing work.

Thanks so much for sharing--and I can't wait to see what you do with the chest. What a find!

jb

Sandy Graeser Haynes said...

Thanks guys, for the comments. It's like overhearing people talk at my own private art show.
One crabapple-- Yes, you are estute!!!! This boy graduated, and IS a bit more mature- I could tell he had changed, grown up a bit- since the days I had him in my art class !!