Thursday, September 20, 2007

If it's not broke, DON'T FIX IT...



I experimented with a formula in mixing my oil paints. I'm not sure why, but I thought I needed the paints to dry more slowly... I knew I was using the paints thinly, and I thought it would help to have them stay workable longer. I remember my mother painting in oils and using the little two-compartment containers, one for turpentine, and one for linseed oil. I thought that she just dipped in one, and then the other, and then combined it with the paint. The knowledgeable guy at the Art Mart gave me his mixture, which he puts directly with the paint. I bought all 3 bottles, and look them home, combining them as he had said, and got started with my painting. WELL. it was impossible to control, and as I tried to apply the colors, one over another, the original paints just WIPED off the canvas- what a mess...

So, it's back to the old method, which I should have realized was the best from the start.. Why do we always seem to think that we need to change things-- It's not always better !

4 comments:

number four said...

You never know when there's a better way, though. I always would rather jump off the cliff and try something different - there's always a lesson to learn.

Sandy Graeser Haynes said...

true, true, true,, i guess nothing ventured, nothing gained. Mum

Anonymous said...

I hope that you had a great time experimenting! I have to say that I can't stand to wait when I am makiing a painting. Due to that, I'm sticking with acrylic's. If I could wait while painting though, I would try oils. What is the difference between oils and acrylics that you have found. Other then the wait.... :) Wonderful post!
*HUGS*

Sandy Graeser Haynes said...

Angela :
Oils are magnificent color and textures, some you cannot obtain with acrylics. Acrylics are great when you want very bold color and intense saturation. For the colors of the old "masters" and the Impressionists, you should give oils a try.... I dilute the color (as I explained) with a little turpenoid, and a dab of linseed oil, and they only take a week or so to dry.... If you paint with very thick paint, that's when it takes a long time to dry....
Oils are a rather expensive investment when you are starting out. If you start with a "set" from Michaels, with a coupon, it's not too bad, though. Good Luck ! and have FUN !