Monday, December 10, 2007



Ever since 1988, when I took my very first quilt to be hand-quilted, I've gone to the ladies at Cur Of Ars, and the main quilter that I dealt with was Martine Wirth. Martine, and her ladies have always done an awesome job for me, whether it was hand quilting a large king size, or a petite baby quilt. They are most dedicated, working 3 or 4 days each week in the little upstairs room above the chapel. At times they have even had two different quilt frames being quilted at the same time. Their work is fine, small, straight stitches, with beautiful patterns in the stitches, creating texture to the fabric.

Lately, Martine has been failing, and not looked so healthy. I was so sad to find that she is now at the retirement center across Laclede Station Road from the church, and she has lost all interest in her former pastime, which was quilting.

I'm sure all of your friends miss having you with them to sew, and I certainly miss you, too.

The beauty of your hands is out there for those who have your handiwork on their beds, and in their baby cribs. I will always cherish the beautiful work that all quilters do, to preserve the craft that I think is so valuable. Thanks, Martine !

(That first quilt, from 1988, still rests on my daughter Tracey's bed)


This is the last baby quilt they finished for me. It will be a gift for a new baby, Weston Grabow, the baby of my son's friend Steve, and his wife, Jennifer......

1 comment:

lindaharre said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Martine is no longer quilting:( Maybe we can go visit her if she is that close. It is hard to believe that she has lost interest....maybe it is just temporary.....I hope so! Love you......lin