Friday, February 19, 2010

Bags for H A I T I
















I saw the tutorial about the bags for Haiti and remembered putting similar items together in boxes as a child. I don't remember who they were for, but I vividly remember the process, and loving it !!!!

I started making the bags out of my "stash" fabrics for my quilts, and I guess I just couldn't stop. ( It's like my mother used to say, "It's like eating salted peanuts") Anywho- I started sewing the bags and before you know it I had over 50... Then I made some smaller bags, just because I had some fat quarters of material that I couldn't figure out what to do with...

I found the items that were needed, and my sister, Linda, helped out with the granola bars, and toys, as well as other items that we had run out of.... My wonderful dentist, Dr. Michael White in Webster Groves, was kind enough to donate more than enough of the toothpaste tubes to fill all the bags, and then some !!!! THANK YOU BOTH SOOOOOO MUCH !!!

We (my sis and I ) spent all day Wednesday filling and packing up the items for the kids and even some adult bags for HAITI. Now I have to make sure they make it to their destination, in Milwaukee, so they can be shipped to the kids who can really use the items...

Our newest venture is the making of "pillowcase" sundresses for the little girls of Haiti, and pillowcase aprons with pockets, for their moms... Also, diapers for the babies, which can be washed and re-used, over and over again. Can you Help?? DO you have a sewing machine, and would you love to do your part to help? If so, go to the website to see how to make some easy patterned dresses for the children who were victims of the earthquake in Haiti.

In our bags we included:

Washcloth

Soap

Toothbrush

Toothpaste ( thanks Dr. White !)

4 Granola bars

Toy and stuffed animal

Hard candy

2 comments:

number four said...

Shoot, I guess they'll need the toothbrush since you including candy... :)

Cat said...

Hi! You and your sister have been so busy making / filling these beautiful bags! Shipping can run up a bit of a bill, I sent about a 17 pound box from Utah to MN and it was about $13 - thru UPS. Tell them it's going to a warehouse. It was double that amount for me to send same weight to FL to my son in Navy! I know your shipment will be very heavy, but not as far as from Utah...
Ship to: Debbie Woodward / 1500 Jackson St. NE / Minneapolis, MN 55413 Phone # is 612-363-5612.

I think what you have done here is just fabulous and will greatly be appreciated!!