Sunday, January 31, 2010

Quilt decisions !!!







HELP ! If someone out there has an opinion on this, please let me know !



Sometimes when I make a quilt the piece can be assembled in various ways, making COMPLETELY different "looks", because the pieces form secondary patterns, which, in themselves can be either what you like, or distracting, or just look "disorganized" in a way,,,



I remember the first quilt I ever made, which was a logcabin design, back in 1987, when our family lived in Monterey, California. I remember laying it out on the livingroom floor, rearranging the pieces like a huge puzzle, until finally deciding how I liked the pieces put together. (My daughter still has that quilt, and even with it's old dated colors of mauve and blue, she loves it and won't stop using it)



Anyway, this red and white are rather "involved", if you know what I mean. The pieces are very small and intricate, and involve corner stitching, rather than just parallel or perpendicular seams. They are also challenging because I need so many pieces. I started out with a baby quilt in mind, but reallty loved the way it looked so much that I decided to make a full comforter for Gracie, when she gets a big bed at my house.



Okay, so here's the gist... Do you like the pattern of the smaller pieces in picture 1, 2, or 3 ?



There are subtle differences, and the pattern will look different overall if they are moved around. I have 16 boxes for each square, and each box contains two sections of "flying geese", if you know that term.



Which do YOU like ? thanks for your opinions- just leave a comment and I will appreciate it !

2 comments:

kg said...

Very cool. I think I like #1 best. Will be interested to hear how it comes out.

lindaharre said...

I like the first pattern the best because it uses the repetitive pattern in large areas. Easier for me to look at:D