Friday, November 21, 2008

Always loved to BAKE !!


I've always loved to bake.... Cookies, cupcakes, brownies and cakes, biscuits, cornbread, even coffeecake !! In all the years I've been married, though, I don't believe I've ever made my mom's recipe for Black Walnut Cake.
I run across the handwritten 3 x 5 cards every once in awhile, but never have gone to the trouble-- before yesterday, that is. For one thing, it calls for Black Walnuts, which are hard to find ( I'm not sure why) and it also specifies Cake flour, instead of regular, which I never have on hand. The third obstacle was the baking pan, which is a tube pan, but Not a bundt pan. Anyhoo, I saw the black walnuts one day at Dierbergs, and decided to take the leap.... I even purchased a special pan at Viking for the task ! Another trip back to the store for the cake flour, which I had forgotten to get, and then one final one, because I was totally out of butter, and needed a cup of it !
My grandbaby sat up in her highchair watching me mix the batter. I'd like to teach her to love to bake, too, someday.... You finish the batter by folding 4 whipped egg whites into the batter. It looked just the way I remembered it did when my mom used to make it. (She was an excellent cook in every way, I think!)
Here's the recipe. Maybe you won't wait 40 years to try it ! Ha !

Black Walnut Cake

Sift 2 cups sugar
Beat until soft 1 cup butter

Add the sugar gradually. Blend these ingredients until they are very light and creamy. Beat in one at a time:
4 egg yolks
Sift before measuring: 3 cups cake flour. Resift with 3 tea. bakingpowder. Add these ingredients in 3 parts to the butter mixture alternately with third of :
1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup milk
Beat the batter until it is smooth after each addition
Beat in:
1 tea. vanilla
1/2 tea. almond extract (optional) ( I put it in )
1 cup chopped nut meats
Whip until stiff but not dry:
4 egg whites
1/8 tea. salt
Fold them lightly into the cake batter. Bake the cake in greased loaf or 8 in. tube pan in a moderate oven 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or ice with carmel icing.

No comments: